Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Food Justice has many intersections and can spur movements from the tiniest details about our seeds and how they are produced to the biggest of issues, such as,  how we feed our community, our country and the world. Food policy and food access effects everyone because everyone eats and everyone needs food to live. This is why Food Justice is accessible to all and this is why joining the call to have power over our food system is radical and revolutionary. And joining the call is becoming absolutely necessary.

Hello, my name is Heidi and I am a Food Justice advocate.  I live in Central Appalachia where the mountains are stunningly beautiful, poverty and hunger is rampant and the history of resistance runs deeps. I love these mountains and the people that live in them more than I could ever explain. My pretty little spot of red clay dirt is home and it is from here that I plant my flag in this struggle. If the system is broken we must grow a new one.

If you ever have met me you know how obsessed I am with food. I learn about everything from growing it to cooking it and making sure everybody has enough. I also care about things like protecting heirlooms and preserving Appalachian methods of food storage and recipes. I'll be darnded if I don't get some Paw Paw trees and Elderberry bushes growing around my house soon! But my biggest issue is creating food security through any means necessary.

I want this blog to be a record of the awesome work going on in Appalachia with the Local Food Movement. I want to share the vast resources and knowledge I obsessively gather about food issues. I need a space to talk about all of these cool people working on these inspiring projects that keep showing up in my life. And sometimes I want to call out our local politicians when they decide that letting people go hungry is better than standing up to corporate greed. Because the system is broken we are growing a new one and that story needs to be recorded.

If people read this blog for no other reason than to find out things like where to taste local moonshine for free I'll be happy. This is home and y'all are family and everybody ought to be able to brag, gossip and complain to their family.


2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed this Heidi. Can't wait to read more. In the meantime, come visit me at Carver Peace Gardens-it's beautiful this time of year and Build It Up has done such a sweet job with their plot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm planning to be out there with Lexy this Sunday. She's got it looking pretty grand.

    ReplyDelete